Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Soft Pretzels

The kids and I LOVE soft pretzels with nacho cheese. I was so excited to come across this recipe here. I had everything for them on hand so I immediately made them, then ran to the store for individual nacho cheese cups I'd seen. The kids were in heaven when they got home from school. If you love soft pretzels try these. They were so easy. I didn't have kosher salt, but that's ok, we usually ask for the pretzel with out salt anyway.

1 1/2 cup warm water
1 pkg yeast (or 1 Tb)
1 Tb sugar
1 tsp salt
4 cups flour

Add sugar to warm water then sprinkle yeast on top. Let float for a minute then stir to dissolve the yeast. Let sit for 10 minutes as yeast activates and starts to foam. Add salt and flour and knead 5-10 minutes; adding more flour as needed to reduce stickiness. Divide dough in to 12 pieces and roll each piece into a long rope or "snake". Twist into pretzel shape and place on nonstick baking sheet. Make an egg wash with one egg and a Tb of water, lightly beaten together. Brush pretzels with egg wash then sprinkle liberally with Kosher salt. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.






No comments: